Tuesday

A New Debt.

[X] Pay Morgul.

Helping Drovas came back to bit me. He owed a money lender named Mogrul 1,000 septims. Mogrul expected me to pay Drovas' debt. However, I killed him instead.

_______________________________________

Ah, The Elder Scrolls Skyrim. Good game, much like Morrowind. I just love the freedom you have to solve most any problem any way you can think of. Course the game is appealing to a wider audience, so it's not quite as good as Morrowind was. That little detail was jammed into my head rather unpleasantly today as I finished the Dawnguard DLC. Man alive, what a drag. It just goes on and on, with no end in sight, and it's about as linear as you can get. No killing people to make your life easier, no shortcuts, no, you have to drag yourself through every last god-forsaken hoop they could think of, listen to hours of cliche, boring, and predictable dialog, and kill hundreds of creatures just to get some worthless trinkets at the end of it to slay the bad guy (more on this later) and save the day. Hurrah. Course it would be, if it wasn't playing like some Zelda-ish RPG.  
I mean come on, this is Elder Scrolls! You're supposed to have freedom, not be locked-in to a quest for hours on end. I mean yeah, you are, technically, always gonna be locked in to a quest that you're completing, but at least make it intriguing and fun! Good god, how many creature-fighting dungeons and lame cliched-conversations can one guy take? Not many, I know that for sure. In the good old days of Morrowind when I was told to get a valuable object from an NPC, I'd either steal it or kill the guy and avoid the kind of treasure-hunting mendacity that Skyrim has embraced all too fully in the Dawnguard DLC. But I digress, I have no wish to rant, and it is cool to be able to blot-out the sun now.

Which brings me to my last grievance: 
Now I know that Vampires are considered "bad" by most, but what about the vampires themselves? Heck, I don't want to be hearing how "bad" other vampires are by people who go around murdering and sucking people's blood as part of their daily routine, that's just plain stupid, and yet, this is exactly what happens in Dawnguard. "Oh my father has lost his way! I wish we could be a family again!" < This from the undead heroine who's parents were both vampires, and who is herself a vampire. Give me a break, murder and death is a part of vampire life, so I find it utterly ridiculous when some vampire whelp gets all sniffly because of the domestic disputes in her home, or the fact that her blood is needed to fulfill prophesies and whatnot. Just dumb. I don't know where to begin so I'll just end before I lose my mind. 

In my opinion, the power to blot-out the sun is incredibly cool for any vampire characters, however, be warned, this DLC is boring, looooong, and tedious. It's also childish beyond belief and made me forget I was playing an Elder Scrolls game. /\ Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment